October 11, 2010

A1, The Elephant in the Room

Slut.

Such an ugly word, isn't it? What does it mean to be called a slut, or to act slutty? More importantly, am I a slut?

Here's the thing: I was raised in a Catholic family and am in the process of converting to Judaism. So I think I know a thing or two about guilt. I have felt shame for things I have done, I have felt bad about my actions or thoughts. But I have truly never felt bad about sleeping with someone. Maybe my moral compass points south. Maybe I haven't read the Bible carefully enough. But to me, neither myself or A2 is a slut.

I know that every guy I've slept with- maybe not every guy I've made out with, but for sure, every guy I've slept with- is someone I knew really really well and cared a lot about. Maybe I didn't love some of them, especially in retrospect, but I have never drunkenly hooked up with a guy at a frat party. That's not just slutty, that's irresponsible.

But here's the real reason I don't feel bad afterwards and would never consider myself a slut. Sluts, to me, are sad, confused creatures. They are to be pitied. They don't know what they want, and are therefore at the mercy of the boys that want them. Being a slut is passive; it's something that happens to you. A slut is defined by the other people that will sleep with her. A slut has no power. Me? I have sex because I like it. I'm not looking for a daddy figure, I'm not looking for a husband. I have a good job and am enrolled in a good college. I am an active figure in my sex life; I pursue boys I find attractive, I have sex the way I like it. That to me, is not a slut- that's what men have been doing for years. And why shouldn't they? And why shouldn't I?

I'm not some lost wandering waif looking for shelter in a man's bed. I have my own bed, and I have no problem lying in it.

Comments:
OH MY GOD! That was perfect i've often contemplated the definition of slut or wondered if I am acting "slutty" by the actions ive made but this just answered all my questions and helped define my sexual existence! loove this entry A1!!
 
I love you. And no you are not a slut, you just do what you want much respect :)
 
I completely agree with you on the slut thing. I have started to rant about how men are allowed to do as they please but as soon as a woman behaves that way she is branded. <3 it! You go girl!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]